Use the preparation materials to prepare hand-written answers for the following questions. Please ask any questions on the "Questions -- Preparation Guide" on the course Team (see link on the homepage.)
- What does the relative width of a confidence interval tell us about how the parameter is estimated? [i.e., how does a narrow confidence interval compare to a wider one in terms of estimating the parameter.]
- What two decisions can a statistician make that will result in a narrower confidence interval? Which decision is “better”?
- What decision can a statistician make that will result in a confidence interval that is more likely to contain the parameter of interest?
- What is the formula for computing a desired sample size?
- What do you need to know or be able to define to use the sample size formula?
- How should your round your sample size calculation if it produces a number with a decimal?
- If the value in the null hypothesis is contained within a confidence region, will that null hypothesis be rejected or not rejected?
- What questions do you have from this reading that you would like me to address? [Please be as specific as possible. Don’t just say “everything” or “I don’t understand anything.” Of course, you can ask questions about the reading before class on MS Teams (see link above).]