- State the rejection criterion (α)
- State the null and alternative hypotheses and define the parameter(s)
- Determine which test to perform – Explain!
- Collect the data (address type of study and randomization)
- Check all necessary assumption(s)
- Calculate the appropriate statistic(s)
- Calculate the appropriate test statistic
- Calculate the p-value
- State your rejection decision
- Summarize your findings in terms of the problem
- Compute a 100(1-α)% confidence region for parameter
Video description of these steps.
All hypothesis tests follow the same basic structure. However, other resources may label the steps somewhat differently. Below are examples from other resources.