This two-day workshop will provide an introduction to R for fisheries biologists and technicians in the Wisconsin DNR. R concepts and methods will be introduced through the use of data from the Fisheries Management Database. The focus of this course, however, will be on developing foundational skills in R that can be transferred to other situations. Participants will test application of their knowledge with hands-on exercises using their own data extracted from the FM Database.
Perform the following tasks before the workshop.
- Install R and RStudio — Complete with the help of the State IT consultants.
- Preparing R and RStudio — The directions in this link will make sure that your R and RStudio can use all special purpose programs required for the workshop.
- Getting Started with RStudio — Review the material in this link to get a feel for the primary software used in the workshop.
- Create a Workshop Folder — Create a folder on your computer that will contain all materials from the workshop (for those described in the next two bullets and created at the workshop).
- Download Materials — Download (put in the folder created above) all scripts below and the data files for the “Introduction to Linear Models” on the second day.
- Get FM Data — Instructions for pulling data from the FM database for your county were sent to you in an e-mail (on 21-Feb) and are in the central FH_PROJECTS location (\central\Water\FH_PROJECTS\SV_ContinuingEducation\R Workshop). If you do not have data in the FM database, then you can use a pull from Sawyer County that is in the same location on the WiDNR network.
Please contact me with any questions. If you wish to install R and RStudio on a personal (non-state) computer, then let me know and I can provide you with directions.
Course Materials — Day 1
- Introduction to R and RStudio
- Loading Data into R
- Filtering Data.frames
- Adding New Variables
- Size Structure I
Course Materials — Day 2
- Size Structure II
- Examine Age Data
- Create and Apply an Age-Length Key
- Summarize Age Data
- Introduction to Linear Models
- The Future
- Please complete this survey regarding this workshop.
- Following the course, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.