It is important to understand the distribution of individuals for a single variable. With quantitative data, four characteristics are generally described from several graphs and numerical summaries. This module describes how to construct these graphs and compute these numerical summaries. These results are used to construct a synthetic description of the distribution of a quantitative variable in the next module.
After completing this module, you should be able to ...
- Compute measures of center (mean and median) by hand and with R.
- Compute mesures of dispersion (standard deviation, IQR, and range) by hand and with R.
- Construct a histogram.
- Construct a boxplot.
Preparation for Class
Use the materials below to answer the questions on this preparation guide.
- Video: Calculate Median – A [2 mins], B [5 mins], or C [3 mins]
- Video: Calculate IQR – A [3 mins] or B [9 mins]
- Video: Calculate Standard Deviation – A [5 mins] or B [13 mins]
- Video: Construct a Histogram [13 mins]
- Video: Univariate EDA (Quantitative) in R [4 mins]