College is a prime time in a student’s life to explore the world in new ways. In order to do this effectively and responsibly, students must have a basic appreciation of the diverse nature of the world they are exploring. It is critical that students learn to value cultural diversity and develop empathy for the multitude of ways in which people experience the world. Likewise, students should be introduced to the reality that there are structural and systemic forces that perpetuate social inequities, and that diversity, inclusion, and social justice encompass more than just interpersonal phenomena. Students should develop a greater self-awareness of their own cultural perspectives, values, and biases, as well as gaining a greater knowledge of the perspectives, values, and biases of others. The purpose of this unit is to ensure that students have a base level of understanding about the importance of cultural diversity, and that there are more ways of seeing and experiencing the world than their own. This will provide the foundation for developing greater intercultural competence over time.
After completing this module, you should be able to ...
- Identify one or more personal values and/or biases that are rooted in their own cultural identities.
- Describe the importance of acknowledging multiple cultural perspectives in the world around them.
- Describe the importance of cultural diversity and inclusion on a college campus.
- Create two personal goals for expanding their cultural awareness during the remainder of the semester.
Preparation for Class
Please prepare for class by doing the following PRIOR to class.
We will do the following during class.
After Class Assignment
You should complete the following to hand in at the beginning of the next class period.
- Do class preparation for next module.