Balancing daily and weekly tasks can be a big challenge for college students. Life in college is typically much less structured than high school, and therefore students may have a difficult time keeping themselves organized and making effective use of their time. By unit 6, students are beginning to develop habits that will likely stay with them throughout their college career. Therefore, it is important to equip them with the tools necessary to be organized, disciplined, and thorough with their school work and other commitments on campus. Likewise, now that students are becoming accustomed to life on campus, this is a good time in the semester for them to take a closer look at the many resources and technologies available to them on campus. The purpose of this unit is to bring students’ awareness to their current time-management habits, and help them identify areas to improve, in order to best manage their overall stress level in college.
After completing this module, you should be able to ...
- Identify how they spend their time on a daily and weekly basis.
- Identify three ways in which they can adjust their behavior in order to be more productive with their time in a given week.
- Identify two campus resources that they can utilize in order to be more efficient, successful, and/or productive in their academic endeavors.
Preparation for Class
Please prepare for class by doing the following PRIOR to class.
- Read Chapter 8 OR 10 (whichever one you did not read last week) in College Rules.
- How Do I Balance School & Social Life at College
- What is Mindfulness?
- 6 Ways to Practice Mindfulness in College
- 5 Ways to Practice Mindfulness in College
We will do the following during class.
- Concepts and Techniques of Mindfulness (Jodi Supanich, guest instructor) … her handout
- Testing Worksheet
- Taking Control of Test Anxiety
- Living More Mindfully Assignment
After Class Assignment
You should complete the following to hand in at the beginning of the next class period.
- Continue work on the “Recording Your Time” Exercise … will be due on 10-Oct.
- Do class preparation for next module.
- Meditation & Mindfulness on Campus: A Student Guide to Going Zen
- The Mind/Body Connection for Students: Reaching & Staying in the Zen Zone
- 10 Stress Management Techniques for Students
- How to Overcome Test Anxiety
- 10 Ways to Overcome Test Anxiety
- DETER Strategy